Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet Surprise

Saturday met up with an old friend and her new husband. 

Barb asked me to make a Wall hanging for their home, she came to audition patterns and colors with me.

Between the 3 of us we finally came up with a plan and then headed off to the quilt shop to find just the right fabrics.   What fun!!!!!  Barb is a non sewer, but she definitely knows what she wants and the colors she wants to use.  Her husband Larry came with us, and he was a big help.  He was pulling bolts of fabric off the shelves and helping matching up just the right fabrics.  Larry has a good eye for matching colors and we really appreciated his input.

It isn't often a husband will get that involved in the decision making of a quilted wall hanging.  Good Job Larry!!!

After spending quite a bit of time pulling bolts, the fabrics were chose and purchased.

While at the quilt shop I also met a couple of ladies that are taking my class tomorrow at the Clinton shop. I am teaching my "Stepping Stones" pattern.  How fun to meet new people.  They were picking out fabrics for the class.

Now for the fun part, cutting and sewing these gorgeous fabrics.

Our original plan was to make "Lazy Hourglass" pattern.  I was so excited about these fabrics I started  cutting and sewing Saturday night.

Color and placement are key to making an OK quilt or a fantastic quilt.  While I loved all the colors, when I placed them together in the Lazy Hourglass pattern, they just didn't look as good as I wanted them to.  So I started moving pieces around, and continued to do so until I came up with a pattern that was perfect for these fabrics.

Barb, of course did not know what I was thinking or planning, so I emailed her pictures of different color/piece placement and it was up to her to decide which layout she liked the best.





My favorite was the last and Barb agreed.   I have all the 16 blocks assembled, and up on my design wall.

This is the layout we chose with all 16 blocks.


Ready for me to sew the rows together and then sew on the borders.  I am so pleased with the way this had turned out and I am calling it Sweet Surprise because the pattern was a complete surprise.  Barb suggested Honeymoon Surprise, and for her wall hanging, we will call it that.
Tomorrow is the class at  Twin Turtle Quilts, in Clinton, and I'm so looking forward to this.

I am taking my French Braid top "Northern Lights" to do a show and tell with the girls.

Put the finishing borders on this afternoon.










No comments: