Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Totally Amazing

While Wayne and I were spreading lawn bug b gone in the back yard I noticed a bright orange thing next to the Koi pond.

Of no concern at first because of the windy day I thought someones junk had blown into the yard and I would pick it up when I got to that area.

Must have been at least 20 min before I was near the pond again.  When I finally got to it found it was one of the KOI laying on the ground.   Picking it up I could see it was gasping, and still alive.

Probably a good thing I watch fishing shows (sometimes) with Wayne, catch and release they always hang onto the fish and move it back and forth until they feel it is revived enough to swim off.  So that is what I did.

The Koi swam off on its own, but went to the other side of the pond and just stayed still.  We watched it for quite a while, and suddenly one of the other Koi came over to it and started pushing it around the pond.  Forcing it to move. Would even swim under it and keep it from going and settleing on the bottom.

The other Koi would not leave him/her, continued to push it forward and around the pond, as if he/she knew it had to keep moving to survive.

We watched this therapy swim for almost an hour.  Finally the sick Koi seems to be swimming more activly on its own.  The other Koi still comes back to it off and on, seeming to check up on it, and if it isn't moving as fast as he/she wants, will do more pushing.









The large solid orange is the one that got out, the orange with black spots is the one keeping it moving.

I'm going back out in a little while to see how they are doing, but when I came in to get my camera the orange seemed to be doing much better.

Have no idea how long he/she was out of the water, I sure hope its going to be ok.  Really enjoy watching the fish.

2 comments:

TDJ said...

Oh that is so cool! It must be very relaxing to watch the Koi.

Kay Lynne said...

Really neat story! I love watching them to.