Search This Blog

Saturday, April 21, 2012

To Oil Or Not To Oil

Lately some of my threads have been breaking on a regular basis while using my Tin Lizzie.


The threads that seem to be giving me the most trouble, have never ever given me this problem in the past.  I posted this  to other quilters on Connected Threadz, and some have told me they actually "oil" their threads on the spool before using them.

This sound a little frightening to me, so I posted several questions, how to and what oil to use.  One of my CT friends told me always oils her threads, after taking a class from Sharon Schamber.  Uses clear oil, pharmaceutical  grade oil.  She is from Australia and uses a brand called Helmers, which I guess can also be purchased here in the states.  I'm going to use "Dritz" the brand I bought  from Joann's for oiling my machine. We chatted back and forth and many other quilters joined in with disbelief and others who have done this.  Helen explained she drizzles the oil on the spool and then wraps it in paper towel to remove any excess.  There isn't much left to remove the thread soaks it up.  Threads do dry out.

I proceeded to oil a spool, but instead of using on my Longarm I used it on my domestic sewing machine and sewed some borders on.  There is no discoloration and no oil residue on the fabric.

I learn something new almost everyday and CT is the best place to ask questions and get answers.  There is always someone there that knows just the right answer for any quilting/sewing questions.


Going to a quilt show this afternoon in Stoughton with friends and Kylee.  ]

Before leaving today it was a must to finish a customer quilt.  Lucky customer is in Mexico and will be back to pick up her quilt next week.

Loaded and quilted this morning:


Large meandering.  This seems to work the best when doing T-Shirt quilts less chance of puckering and stretching.

This is Teri's first T-Shirt quilt and she did an excellent job, as usual for Teri.

She came over one evening and I showed her how to do a T-Shirt block and that evening she had it almost completed.  Speed sewer Teri.



2 comments:

Carol J said...

Hi Jeannie!
Here is a trick that I was told to try when it comes to reconditioning threads: Take a scrap piece of batting (cotton preferred) and dampen with water (you don't want it dripping wet). Place it in a ziplock baggie and then put in your spool of thread. Leave it sit for 24 hrs and it should be good to go! If you want to do more spools, use a larger piece of batting and a bigger baggie :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Carol another good tip, I appreciate it