Search This Blog

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Windmills My Original Design

Well here it is, my first attempt at designing an original quilt pattern by ME.


All sewn together, not quilted yet (of course).  Just hanging on my design board for me to inspect and note changes to be made on the next Windmills that I will be doing.   I realized after doing all the drawing and cutting of pattern I didn't leave enough room at top for 1/4" seam allowance.  Even so I still like the way it looks.



If you are familiar with "Buggy Barn" patterns you know you stack your fat quarters, iron on pattern drawn on freezer paper and cut through all layers.

Then shuffle your colors so they are all mixed up before sewing together.  I am so O C D about how my colors lay next to each other I had to lay each block out on my design board before I started any sewing.

It didn't really take that long to lay them out once I separate darks from lights and laid them out using light background for 3 and dark background for the other 3 blocks.  I also laid the pattern out on material, making sure I saved enough room on outside of pattern to conserve on material, as I used the excess material in my sashing.

Please let me know what you think of my design.

2 comments:

Donna Kallner... said...

I love it! Good job!

Quilting By Jeannie said...

thanks it was quite a trip, now Im thinking of whats next, trying to come up with more patterns, have several running through my head