Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Sometimes A Plan Doesnt Work

A few weeks ago I tried something new using my scraps. I did use 2 entire baggies of strips 1 or 2 inch wide and thought I was really on to something.




I did enjoy making of the blocks, the technique I used I would do again. Now the blocks looked pretty good so I purchased some fabric for sashing and border. My choice was not as good as I thought and when I finally got it all assembled I didn't like it much.  OK, lets see how it goes with the quilting.

Quilting was a disaster. I knew when I was loading the quilt it was never going to lay flat. I was right after doing just 19inches of a row I was running into problems.  There were just too many seams in this quilt and the puckering began. I tried doing a heavy quilting in the squares and straight line in the sashing.  The heavy quilting looked horrible. A second opinion from my bff said she thought it looked fine. 

I, on the other hand absolutely hated it. I didn't even take a picture of it. It was that bad (to me anyway).  It actually depressed me looking at it.  Walked away from the quilt for a few hours and finally made the decision I was going to trash this one. It cost me in time mostly and it was an experiment that didn't work.  The technique worked but by using small strips the results were not what I wanted.

Sometimes you just have to realize some quilts are ugly and this one was the ugliest ever.  I have never given up on a quilt before I always felt once its quilted it will be fine.  But that was just not the case. 

When a quilt depresses you just looking at it, its time to let it go. Once I took it off the frame and threw it in the trash my spirits lifted and I began a new project that is looking good and I am not depressed anymore.

No comments: