Search This Blog

Friday, September 30, 2011

Our First Sew Play Day

6 of us met at The Gathering Place here in Milton for our first "friends" sew play day.  We had such a great time.  I took my camera along to get pictures, but we had so much fun, sewing, talking and laughing I forgot all about taking any pictures.  It was so enjoyable. Some were working on quilts, others did hand appliques, and another made a quilted toaster cover. 

How nice is this, you can do anything you want to work on, no specifics, no rules, no meetings, no motions and seconds of motions. How relaxing it was.

Before sewing 3 of us went to a little restaurant that opened this year, an old church turned into the restaurant, live plants shop and a specialty shop in lower level, which we didn't see, but will next time.  I'm sorry didn't get the name of the restaurant, had heard about this from others and we decided to try it out.  Very impressed, its kind of a of a ladies place, but there were a few gentlemen there. Very quaint and cute and the food is really good. Not a burger or fry cooking place.  Has Penni sandwiches, wraps, croissants, soups and some delicious looking desserts.

We are so looking forward to the next play day next month. We plan on meeting once a month and anyone is welcome to join us.

This morning I did manage to finish the Tshirt quilt for Nettie.



I used the wiggle line stitching.  I have found this works so much better than meandering, less chance of puckering and stretching.

I had to be very creative when sewing on the binding.  Nettie requested I do a machine binding for her. Using black binding and black thread, I begin, and before I'm finished I run out of black thread. Absolutely no extra thread, and I was determined to get it finished, she needed by today.  Having only one end  left to sew on, I came up with a brainstorm to use the thread from my Long Arm.  Now the spools on the LA are way too big for a standard sewing machine, so couldn't just put the spool on and go, no I had to move the LA to end of table pull the thread end off the back of the spool holder over to my domestic machine and thread it through the machine.  This means there is a thread approximately 3 ft coming from the LA to my sewing machine.  You know it worked. Broke the thread a couple of times, but got it sewn on.  I planned on doing a fancy stitch over the straight stitching, but decided to wait until I did purchase more thread.  Dee Dee went to Joanns yesterday AM, and picked some up for me before our sew day.  So this morning at 5am I did manage to do the fancy stitching.  It turned out just fine.

I can be very inventive when I need to be. 

No comments: