Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Stepping Stones

Haven't seen my bff Nettie for almost a month.  We talk all the time on the phone, but haven't been able to get together, both too busy right now.  Going through a Nettie withdrawl, got myself going yesterday and travelled all the way to Edgerton (6miles) to her house for coffee and a nice visit.

Of course I had to do a show and tell of all the quilts I have been working on, including "Lazy Hour Glass".  She really liked the pattern.  Nettie is a quilter too, but lately she just can't find the time to get anything done. (time for her to retire I think) Plus her sewing room is downstairs in basement and it's pretty darn cold down there. I know this first hand, as we tried doing a couple of sew days together.  Brrrrrr.

She purchased some fat quarters months and months ago, but never put the quilt together.  Now I have those fat quarters at my house.  She asked me to do a "Lazy Hour Glass" using her fat quarters.

I was actually pretty happy to do this for her, as I wanted to see how this pattern would look with the colors she had.  Various patterns of  blacks/whites and reds/whites.  They are beautiful fabrics.

First thing this morning I went to my sewing room and started cutting up fabric.  Did the first step sewing strips together and doing sub cuts.  Before sewing any pieces together I put some up on my design board, just to see how they would look.  I really didn't care for the Lazy Hour Glass pattern with these prints.  The fabrics were way too busy for this pattern.

A new block is born, this will be called "Stepping Stones"  I have spent many hours on the computer, researching block patterns, to be certain I am not copying someone else's patterns.  Looking through hundreds and hundreds of patterns, I now believe I have 2 original block patterns.




Lazy Hour Glass, picture is actually better than how it looked on board. I felt just too much going on with all the prints.

Oh just to let you know, my Lazy Hour Glass is sewn, still have to get it quilted and post pics as soon as I finish it.  I am very pleased with the end results.  I will be doing another, (not using scraps), will buy 4 colors to see how that works.  At least I know now, keep the fabric patterns simple.

No comments: